Re: Topband: FCP model

To: 'TopBand' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP model
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:44:56 -0700
On 7/31/2012 1:45 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> Well, an inductor and a choke are TWO devices instead of one.
>
> We've all heard of KISS.

Yes, BUT -- two cheap parts I can easily build instead of one expensive
one that I have to buy.  An excellent  ( >5K ohms resistive) common mode
choke to handle legal power can be built for about $5 (16 bifilar turns
#12 THHN on a 2.4-in o.d. #31 core) and a suitable inductor wound with
#10 THHN on a short length of 4-in PVC conduit will have a Q of at least
250 at 2 MHz, and costs about $2. And I don't have to buy a commercial
product.

I've wound and measured several such inductors using the standard
equations (turns, diameter, winding length) in the ARRL Handbook and
gotten inductance values within a few percent at 2 MHz, so you don't
even need test equipment.

Please don't view my comments as criticism, Guy.  You've done some great
work here that is allowing PFG operation on 160M from small lots.

Yes, some controlled tests would be great.  I'd be happy to help out if
someone in  this area (N6RK?) wanted to set it up, and I'm certain that
it wouldn't be difficult to recruit others if needed..

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK