Re: Topband: FCP model

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP model
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:59:29 -0700
On 7/31/2012 7:19 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
> The capacitive reactance FCP and inductive reactance matching transformer
> form a tuned system. The combination acts like a single short-length folded
> inductor-loaded "radial". This is why voltages are so high, and why only one
> particular coupling system works.

Elegant analysis, Tom.  Thanks.  I looked at Guy's very well done piece
in the National Contest Journal (the one timed for reading on the
airplane going to Dayton) and wondered why a serious common mode choke
would not work.

Guy's dimensions are quite specifically tailored to fitting in a small
space, so it would be nice to keep it there. So The obvious next
question is, is there any reason why Guy's 66 ft FCP could not tbe made
to work by adding that inductor and a suitable choke?  Or perhaps
another fold?

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK