Re: Topband: Lyme Desease

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Lyme Desease
From: "John Harden, D.M.D." <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 17:37:49 -0400
It is named for the Connecticut town where in the mid-1970's there was
an epidemic of arthritis associated with skin erythema (redness), caused
by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi. A spirochete causes syphillis.

It is transmitted  from rodents to people by tiny, hard deer ticks. */It
is the major insect-borne disease in the USA./*

Like syphillis it has 3 stages:

1) An expanded area of redness with a necrotic center at the site of the
tick bite.

2) Early spread via the blood system...

      a) secondary skin lesions

      b) "moving around" joint & muscle pain

      c) heart rhythm disturbances

      d) meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain)...

3) Two or three years later one sees a chronic arthritis and sometimes
severe joint damage. There can be an encephalitis (brain
inflammation).... which can be
      mild to debilitating...

THIS IS A BACTERIAL INFECTION.. The damage is thought to be due to
antibodies to the bacterial proteins that attack host tissues...

All in all... Not good!!

73,

John, W4NU

7/23/2012 8:45 PM, wa3mej@comcast.net wrote:

> Frank,
>
>    Sorry to say it didnt work for me!  Two years ago this September I
> contracted Lyme Desease and I had treated my clothing with Permethrin very
> heavily... but what I didnt do was  take a shower when I came in.  Now to be
> honest I live in the woods soooo what did I expect.  There is one thing that
> Frank is definately right and I can attest to... Lyme desease is a life
> changing experience and everyones experience is just a little different to be
> sure but the infectious desease doctor said he had never seen a case as bad
> as what I had.  Ya see most people get one red bullseyes at the site of the
> bite I had the damn things all over my body  hundreds of bullseyes.  My body
> temp dropped to 96 degrees and stayed there for weeks at a time and I got
> extreme vertigo and drove very little for a year. I think my poor my wife was
> about to kill me.. she said I should have been pregnant and given birth then
> I could complain.. hummmm go figure.
>
> Ok so why say all of this ?  To tell you an ounce of prevention is worth a
> pound of cure as the old people used to say. T here is a semi preventative,
> take a shower immediately apon coming in the house and wash all your
> clothing. These ticks are so small you will probably never see them and they
> dont always bite you immediately..a shower is your best defense. ALso wear
> lite colored clothing apparently they are not as attracted to it.  Lyme
> desease is at epidemic levels in Maryland and on the east coast from Mass
> down to about the northern end of NC.
>
> Above all else if you are bitten please go see an infectious desease doctor
> as soon as you can get to him. It did take me over a year and a half but the
> symptoms do eventually lessen to where you can live a nearly normal life but
> you get flash backs occasionally for a few hours every once in a while.
>
> On the lighter side at least I wasnt hot that summer when we got the 100+
> temps. By the way.. ham radio was my salvation during that time even though I
> co uld not do much antenna work.
>
> Live Long and Prosper
>
> Jim   WA3MEJ
>

>> Bruce is correct that Beverage antenna installation and maintenance brings
>> on the risk of life changing Lyme disease. Lyme disease is present in >many
>> .areas of the world, but particularly in the non-arid areas of the United
>> States, Canada and Europe.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease
>> Permethrin treated clothing (socks, pants and long sleeve shirt) is
>> exceptionally effective at repelling ticks.
>> http://sectionhiker.com/treating-your-clothes-with-permethrin
>> Clothing can be purchased pretreated with Permethrin. Commercially treated
>> clothing remains effective after dozens of washings. Look for the trademarks
>> >"Insect Shield" and "Bug Shield" in sporting goods stores or online:
> [...]

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK