Re: Topband: Beverage antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage antennas
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:31:24 -0400 (EDT)
There is an excellent article in the July/August 2012 issue of QEX describing
how the author improved the performance of a Beverage by breaking it into two
in-line segments coupled by a pair of conventional Beverage matching
transformers.  He also provides detailed construction information for a
switched bidirectional Beverage that he built.

He observes that:

-  a long Beverage produces a stronger signal and better directivity when it is
broken into two segments and a proper length phasing line is inserted between
the two matching transformers.

- a short Beverage (two coupled inline Beverages, each either 0.15 or 0.2
wavelengths long) produces improved directivity  when a 1/8 wavelength coax
phasing line in inserted between the matching transformers producing
directivity similar to a conventional Beverage of twice the length of two
coupled short Beverages.

The article has many azimuthal and elevation plots and tables from his EZNEC
modelling, for example:

Beverage length   Gain (dBi)     F/B     3 dB beamwidth
2 x 0.15           -21.1         9.9       92 degrees
0.5                -15.1        13.5       93
2 x 0.2            -18.0        11.0       87
0.75               -11.5        10.7       93
1.0                 -9.3        15.5       79

73
Frank
W3LPL