Topband: C Rural WIre

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: C Rural WIre
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:01:43 +0000 (UTC)

Mike,

 C Rural wire is available from your local telephone company.  I usually get
the stuff that is wrecked out and of not more use. It is #14 copper clad steel
and it has a pretty heavy copper.  Several years ago I found a 1000 ft roll
that had litterally fallen off a telephone truck ( some poor employee probably
got what for when he got on the job and it was not there). I picked it up and
gave it a good home planning to use on some future antenna. I can promise you
it will take a large tree to break this wire and if you do it correctly.. like
using small cable ties to attach to the insulators it will break the cable ties
first saving both insulator and wire.  This has happened twice since I replaced
my window line beverage with the C wire.

Usually after this wire is removed they throw it away... AND if your nice to
the telephone guys they may give you some of the crimp splices that they use
when it is broken.  I use them but solder them afterward for electrical
continuity.. then tape it.. but you wont have to do that probably unless you
want a very long run.

Jim

By the way .... TREE is this list moderated?  It seems like it takes a long
time for my posts to appear or maybe it is my settings or something

>I know people who use that stuff, but where do you get C wire?
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK