Re: Topband: UFOs

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: UFOs
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:32:13 -0500
At a hamfest years ago I saw some UFO's on a table.

Me: "What kind are they?"

Vendor:"I don't know, what's best?"

Me: "People seem to like type 43 for HF/VHF and 31 for MF/HF suppression."

Next time I walk by the table, all of the UFOs were miraculously
identified and labelled. Why, he even had both 43 and 31 types in his
offerings. Son of a gun!

73, Kirk K4RO

On 7/3/2012 11:39 AM, Hal Kennedy wrote:
> Has anyone ever seen or can point us to a decent treatise on identifying
> UFOs?  That would be: Unidentified Ferrite Objects.
>
> Yes, I can throw a few turns on a UFO and sweep it and zero in on the
> material, maybe make an educated guess at that point as to the manufacturer,
> check his data sheets for a match and data sheet (unless its Laird) and to
> be honest, as skilled and test equipment-rich as I am in this area I would
> not feel comfortable having gone through that rather laborious process that
> I really knew what I had.
>
> There must be a google of UFOs for sale at hamfests and surplus houses -
> never getting bought or used since we can't ID them.  Anybody want to design
> up a UFO tester?
>
> Hal
> N4GG
> Happy 4th