Topband: TELCO DROP WIRE VS TELCO "C RURAL WIRE"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: TELCO DROP WIRE VS TELCO "C RURAL WIRE"
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:37:12 +0000 (UTC)

Paul et al,

  what you want is called " C Rural Wire" unlike drop wire it has a solid PVC
insulation and is so strong it can be used to tow a small truck. It has 2 #14
copper clad steel wire about 1/2 inch appart. The Telco has a special tool to
split the wires appart but you dont really need it.  Today when cleaning out my
old shed I found a roll of at least 500 ft plus several 100-200 foot pieces.  I
intend to use this wire as the basis for my two wire beverage (elevated at 7 or
8 ft) to be installed this summer.

The drop wire which you are talking about has both rubber and cloth insulation
and although it looks nearly identical the C rural wire is far superior and
appears to have less losses because the rubber abrades away and the cloth wicks
up water after a while.  In todays world it is getting harder and harder to get
the telco's to give even scraps away so I intend to use what I have. Besides
much of the cable around here are burried these days.

Jim WA3MEJ

Message: 1