Re: Topband: A rare Boring Report

To: <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A rare Boring Report
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:15:35 -0600
Tree, you have done a great job with this list.  I wish you much success in
your new job.  Likewise, anything you can do to improve the chance of getting
Zone 22 would be greatly appreciated.

Other than a handful of contacts in the mid-1990's, I was new on 160 in October
2008.  I don't post much, but this list has been a source of news and technical
information that was and continues to be extremely helpful to my 160M DXing
efforts. The ongoing discussion about ground radials and losses has been
interesting to me, and I have studied every post.

To me, LoTW is the best thing going.  I wish everyone used it.  I would like to
spend my remaining days DXing, not doing paperwork.  However, I respect the
views of others who disagree about LoTW.

As an OT, 50 years licensed in 2012, I support the idea of positive
technological change and try to adapt.  For me, radio will always be an audio,
between the ears, experience.   I have tried band scopes, but these don't do
anything for me.  I have to hear the signals.  Recently, a friend demonstrated
a PSK contact to our DX group.  He did not even have a speaker hooked up to the
rig, so it was all done in silence.  I had some fun poking at him over the idea
of radio without any sound.  However, I recently got on RTTY trying for Digital
DXCC and find, to my surprise, the activity somewhat enjoyable.  At least I
listen to the signals, even if the software does the decoding.
I might even prefer RTTY to SSB.

I agree with you about digital modes which extract partial callsigns and match
them to calls from stored data bases. This does not excite me at all.  One of
my goals is to make 6M DXCC in the time left to me. We got started on 6M in
July 2009. I even downloaded the JT65 software with the thought of trying
moonbounce.  My steep sloping terrain should give some strong lobes at useful
angles. However, after further study, I elected not to do it, at least with
digital. This was a personal choice.  Not knocking JT65 or questioning the
validity of QSO's made with it.  Folks still have to bounce some signals off
the moon for the software to have anything to decode.  The idea of moonbounce
using conventional CW does attract me, and I might try it some day.  Hopefully
I can make DXCC on 6 without moonbounce, with some help from conventional prop.
 Sitting at 83 worked now.

Back to 160, I only wish we would have discovered how enjoyable this band is
many years ago.  Honestly, I have had more concentrated fun on the radio since
October 2008 chasing countries on 160M than with any other aspect of radio in
50 years.  Working DX is challenging but not impossible.  160 retriggered the
spark.  Still lots to learn for me, and many DX countries to chase.  I will
never catch the OT's on the band, too many years lost to working and other
activity.   It is just fun to work the 160 countries, one at a time.  Each new
one is a major victory and a cause for celebration!  I would like to get all 40
zones, which is a major operating accomplishment.

Again, thanks for your efforts Tree and I wish you continued success in  your
radio operating and work life.

73 Charlie (Chas) N8RR

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK