Topband: A rare Boring Report

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: A rare Boring Report
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:14:36 -0800
Just thought I would share some random thoughts.  I don't seem to post here
as often - since this list has sort of become a job.

- I am personally excited about the new "630 meter" band.  I find myself
dreaming about what I would do for an antenna and find myself scanning the
web on ways to measure my EIRP.  I have already planted a seed in the minds
of Elecraft - asking them how fast I would need to turn the big knob on the
radio to get it down to 472 kHz.  BTW - you can get to 485 kHz by using the
RIT - but it turns off there.  Hopefully, they can at least make the K3
receive down there - and perhaps with an outboard filter - do some
transmitting.  I know the dusty TS850 will at least receive there.  While
DXCC down there is probably something I would never have a shot at - WAS
would certainly be a significant goal for me down there.

- LOTW does take a little bit of effort to sign up for.  However, I have
uploaded all the logs that I have from all the DX locations I have operated
from.  It feels good seeing QSOs match up with other people who are doing
the same.  It was a good tool for keeping track of my other band totals
(since I only really count countries on 160) and eventually resulted in me
getting the 5BDXCC plaque with 160 endorsement.  Did you know you can't get
that award with DXCC on 160-15?  You have to have it on 80, 40, 20, 15 and
10...  but if you also get it on 160 - you will get a nice little
endorsement to put on the award.  Typically - after a contest - I will
upload my log - and about half of it matches up with other people who have
done the same.  I have 216K QSOs records there - and have 36K "QSLs".  Of
course - half of those are with RA4LW on 160 meters.  :-)   Yes - it costs
some $$$ if you want to get awards out of it - but I think you will find
that overall it is cheaper than chasing ALL of the QSLs.  For DX stations
(outside W/VE) there is a bit of paperwork to do in order to prove you are
licensed - but that sure hasn't stopped a lot of well known big gun 160
meter stations from showing up.

- I still collect real QSLs for my 160 countries.  Have them in a nice book
that I show off to visitors.  My only new one so far this year is HK0NA.
W7LR is still a few ahead of me.  Still need 3 zones.

- Speaking of zones - I recently changed jobs and will likely be traveling
to zone 22 on a somewhat regular basis.  I am in touch with Kumar, VU2BGS -
and am hoping to help him improve his situation on 160 meters.  No promises
yet - but it sure would be nice to make this zone easier for everyone to
work.  I may also make it to BV again and see if I can spend a night or two
at BU2AQ's fine QTH again.

- Perhaps this list will prove the experts wrong and continue without
moderation.  Please be thoughtful of the intent of this list when posting.
This subject of LOTW is okay for a bit - but if it continues with too much
volume - it would start being too much.  That is when I start seeing
complaints and unsubscribe messages.

- The difference between a normal CW QSO and one with computers involved
using some special technique that allows QSOs to be made below the noise
level is something I struggle with.  Thus far - I have not really been very
excited about using a computer to copy my signals.  For me (big words there
- this is just "for me" - not necessarily for you or anyone else) - the
magic of radio happens between the headphones.  I have worked six meter EME
- but on CW before EME turned into a digital mode.  I did hook things up
and tried to work the ZL8 DX pedition just so I could say I have done it -
but wasn't successful.  I guess I am like Jodie Foster in Contact - I just
like listening.  Connecting your brain to the ionosphere to hear things is
a wonderful experience.  It can almost be trippy.  Take a listen to this
recording with headphones on:
http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/Diversity1590.wav.  That's a recording in
diversity on 1590 AM with different antennas on each receiver.  The
ionosphere lives and breaths.  If you want to hear what six meter CW EME
signals sounded like - you can listen in here -
http://web.jzap.com/k7rat/sixeme.html. My operation was done with a single
yagi up 45 feet.

- The results for the Stew Perry contest are basically final.  You can see
them on the web at http://web.jzap.com/k7rat/stew.html.  At some point, I
will figure out who won which awards and do a writeup.  That is - unless
someone is inspired to do a guest writeup like Paul, K8PO did last year.
It was nice seeing the writeup done from a less "Boring" perspective for a
change.

See you on the band.

Tree N6TR
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK