Re: Topband: Amazing Video of an extremely large circular array

To: <herbs@vitelcom.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Amazing Video of an extremely large circular array
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:32:56 -0500
.
> I remember when 160 meter and EME enthusiast Sam Harris (forgot his
> call) used the Arecibo Space Telescope for moon bounce.  His efforts
> began a whole new resurgence of interest in this communications mode.
> now even some DX-peditions are trying it.

That was the birth of EME, not a resurgance. Sam, W1FZJ, made the first EME
contact just a few years before moving from MA to PR. I was one of his
antenna "apes" in MA as his favorite saying was "if it stayed up during a NE
winter it wasnt big enough". His monster 144 and 432 Cushcraft collinear
arrays on the big towers were always shedding parts.

While Sam was a big gun on 75 SSB with a 30L1 driving PP 750TH's to a Lazy H
I dont remember him even having gear for 160 as he was using S Line with a
R-390 as a 2nd receiver.

Carl
KM1H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK