Re: Topband: Radials help

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 15:51:50 -0500
On 02/11/2012 01:12 PM, k2qmf@juno.com wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> Are you saying that the FCP works just as well as
> an elevated or buried radial field???
>
> I was under the impression that the FCP was just a way
> to get on 160 when there wasn't room for a radial field...

The FCP, and also the double L antenna, work as well
as the (poor) radial systems that many people can put
up.

It will not outperform a proper radial field with many
dozens of quarter wave radials.

According to NEC (which I know is not very accurate),
both the vertical with FCP or a double L antenna are
about 6dB below the output of a vertical over perfect
ground - which a vertical with 120 quarter wave
radials gets fairly close to.

If you cannot fit a large radial field in your yard,
and would be making do with a small one anyway, it
may be worthwhile to just lift the whole antenna off
the ground.

This may lose you 1-3 dB over a good vertical with a
smaller radial field, with the benefit of coming
relatively close without having to dig up your yard.

If you have the space and care about your signal
strength, you'll probably be better off with a full
radial field.

--
All rights reversed.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK