Re: Topband: Radials help

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: W2XJ <w2xj@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:06:01 -0500

I think this is all being way over thought. It would be good to go back
and study the work of Dr. Brown of RCA in the early 30s. At the time
broadcast stations were using various iterations of wire antennas as we
still use today on our HF bands. Dr Brown developed the theory and the
math underlying what came to be the standard practice for MW
broadcasting world wide. There have been numerous studies that build on
that work including some in QEX that document the effect of varying
numbers and lengths of radials.

In a nutshell virtually no commercial broadcast is reasonant nor is that
even part of the design criteria. A sterotypical idealized antenna would
consist of a quarter wave vertical with 120 ground radials a quarter
wavelength or more. In the real world this can be reduced to a 45 degree
mast and 4 to 8 ground radials with some loss of efficiency but not as
much as one might think. My advice for the top band put up as much tower
as possible with 60 feet being a desireable minimum and about 360 feet
the maximum. Use a buried ground system. In broadcast we usually use #10
bare copper. Put in as many as is pratical and as long as practical. The
key is to have a proper matching network at the antenna. In broadcast we
always have an outdoor ATU at the tower base (or a dog house). For
simplicity an L network will do the job although a T network is better.
Either network can be adjusted to match any frequency in the 160 M
band.  There are also more elaborate network design that can flatten out
the reactance slope to create a much broader match without retuning.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK