Re: Topband: Ticked over intentional interference on top band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ticked over intentional interference on top band
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:45:49 -0400
By the way, a weird thing happened to me the other week. (rare for 160m that
is)

Well, not so weird, as maybe insulting.....I was working a bunch of Europe
on 160m, spotting them as I went up and down the band.  I ended up calling
TA3D a bunch of times @ his sunrise and never made it.  Eventually he QRT'd
and I got called on TA3D's ex-frequency by a UA4 somebody who I later found
out was running 100w and he was happy for his first Canada on
160m.....anyways, a very small pileup started with LY, YL, UA4's, OH, SM's
etc. calling me after TA3D had left.

Some guy kept QRMing me with the dit-machine....we've all had it happen to
us....anyways, this guy eventually kept asking me if I was a LID and
spotting my own pileup or something like that.  QSB and QRN took him out a
bit at times.  At first I thought he was asking me to QSY, but he definately
was asking if I was a LID, and something about spotting.  I was so PO'd
(like red in the face upset) I stopped the mini pileup, and turned the rig
off.  (If you are reading this, you won !)

Figured I just didn't need the aggravation.  It's not too often I get upset
about ham radio. In fact it's very very rare.  It's a hobby I derive great
enjoyment out of.  I could miss a rare chance at a JA on 6m and I wouldn't
get "upset", ya know?  I could lose an all weekend contest by 1000 pts and
still not get upset.  I could wait in a pileup for an hour and not be upset.
But this....  This just rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't know what problem folks have about DX spotting.  By the way, I never
spotted myself, nor any of the DX I was working once I had the old TA3D
freq....only before, as I was gg up and down the band.  There were almost no
spots coming out of NA at the time, even though 160 was in fine shape.  Only
heard a few guys on from NA and propagation was very very good at the time.
Even had a K7...think it was K7ZV thank me on the Lowband ON4KST chat site
thank me for the spots and he had nabbed a couple new ones off my spots.
Kinda makes me feel good, but the terrible words from the unknown guy made
me feel like I should take up stamp collecting.  Less aggravation !

VE9AA
Mike, Coreen & Corey Smith
699 Rte 616 Keswick Ridge
NB