Re: Topband: BCI

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: BCI
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 18:28:23 -0500
 From personal experience, WTVN-AM has had third harmonic issues going
back as far as 35 years.

Remove your receive protector and check other antennas to be sure the
"harmonic" is still there.  Also turn on the attenuator in your rig
and notice if the decrease in the "harmonic" is the same at the amount
of attenuator or if the drop is much more than the attenuator.  If all
the tests (alternative antenna, attenuator) show it is a harmonic, call
the station and ask to speak to the Chief Engineer.

If the station gives you the run-around, call and/or write the FCC.
They have a history of issues ...

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 12/13/2011 5:36 PM, Scott Long wrote:
> A strange happening already this season,  I am hearing WTVN-AM 610 khz
> (Columbus OH) plain as day on 1830 khz.  This is the only frequency that I
> hear it on.  I am at least 35 miles from this station, and it is west of me.
> The antenna is a 350 ft long East-West bi-directional beverage.  I just
> moved this antenna away from transmit antenna to the south and added a
> frontend protector on my FT-920.  That's the only thing that has been
> changed to this antenna.  I don't hear either of our local stations WHTH-AM
> 790 khz or WCLT-AM 1430 khz.  WCLT is less than one air mile from me.  What
> do guys use to smash the BCI?
>

> Thanks for reading.
>

> Scott, K8SM

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK