Re: Topband: Changes To My Shunt Fed Tower

To: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Changes To My Shunt Fed Tower
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:15:10 -0500
Even if the beam is "insulated" from the mast or boom, any device
insulating the support members of the antenna should be bypassed at these
points:

1) Mast to Boom.

2) boom to longest elements farthest out on Boom.  This may not be
straightforward with a two element "shorty forty", but definitely
connecting the reflector or director on a two element yagi may protect the
insulation at the driven element from being arced over or carbon tracked at

Remember also that if you have coax to the driven element through a balun
of any kind, the half element + coax shield will be connected via the
suppression path of the balun, which is NOT designed to stop the series
impedance OR QRO voltage found 30 feet from the end of a 160 meter
radiator.  If anything, at QRO on 160, the suppression path will get heated
up, UNLESS there is a more attractive path to the other element.

The high beam IS the end of the radiator, whether you want it or not.  Do
targeted things to let the 160 energy get to the end of the longest
elements farthest out on the boom.  If not, you may find that it behaves
one way with QRP or an analyzer, and quite another with power, all the
while polluting your setup with carbon tracks.

AND, if you change the stuff on the high half of the tower, it DOES change
the 160 feed Z.  Worry if it DOESN'T.

73, Guy.