Topband: Changes To My Shunt Fed Tower

To: "'Jim F.'" <j_fitton@yahoo.com>, "'top Band'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Changes To My Shunt Fed Tower
From: "Bob Garrett" <rgarrett5@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:21:56 -0500
Hello Topbanders,

It is getting cold in the Northeast and as I get older, I dislike the cold
even more.

In April of this year, I replaced my Cush craft D40 40 meter rotable dipole
with an OptiBeam OB-4030 dipole for 30 and 40 meters right at the top of the
mast.  The overall length of the antenna is about ten feet longer and I am
assuming that it has added some additional capacitance to my 100 foot shunt
fed tower with a Cush craft X7, A3WS, 5 EL M2 6 meter yagi and the new
OptiBeam dipole.

My match on the tower went from 1.0 x 1. To 1.9 x 1 after I installed the
new antenna.  In terms of loss, this isn't a huge change but my amplifier
doesn't like the change.  Before I spend a lot of time running back and
forth to the tower making random changes, any thoughts as to what I can do
to improve the match.  I'm currently using one series capacitor 1000PF for
the matching network.  I have attempted to adjust this capacitor but it
looks like the 1.9 x 1 is the low point.  Perhaps some thoughts - increase
or decrease the spacing of the shunt wire?  Move the connection up or down
on the tower?

Before I get to crazy, just wanted to look to the base of knowledge on this
reflector for your input.

73 and tnx in advance.

Bob K3UL

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK