Re: Topband: Best small space antennas

To: mstangelo@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Best small space antennas
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 02:45:05 -0500
The counterpoise needs to be bare wire with separators at 4-6 inches for
the separation.  We have tried making the counterpoise with 450 ohm window
line, which came up lossy. Operations improved with the discard of FCP
using heavy dielectric.  Using zip cord would definitely be worse.  FORGET
zip cord.  Lossy, lossy, lossy.

Construct the FCP as if you were going to make it like 600 ohm open wire
line.  Bare #12 and spacers.  We have found that a spacer  in the center
made from an 8 or 10 feet piece of 1.5 inch PVC water pipe, and and eight
and 14 inch pieces of half inch water pipe, placed at +/- 11, +/- 22 and
+/- 33 will separate the wires nicely with tension on the ends.

DO NOT use THHN and leave the insulation on.  Water tends to bead on THHN
insulation.  The extra water adds to the dielectric on the wire, and
detunes the FCP.  We've already worked through that issue.

73, Guy.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK