Topband: Not so Boring KH2 report

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Not so Boring KH2 report
From: Dave Mueller <daven2nl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:35:16 +1000
As others have noted recently, conditions seem to have been finally
improving this winter Topband season.  I have had a lot of success into
Europe over the last month, but this morning was extra special and
hopefully a sign of good things to come.

I knew the morning would be good when PE5T called in nice and loud for
my first QSO.  Zone 14 is never easy from here!  Over the next hour,
until my sunrise at 2030z, I logged more than 70 Europeans including
CT1EEB, 9H1SP (running 100w), and three stations from the United
Kingdom, the hardest part of Europe to work from zone 27.  Conditions
this morning equaled anything I experienced last winter without sunspots.

I recorded most of the opening, and you can download and listen to the
MP3, broken into four pieces.  I have them uploaded here:
http://www.n2nl.net/?p=615  I am listening on an Elecraft K3 connected
to a 330m Beverage pointed at 330 degrees.  I am fortunate to live in a
low noise area and my European Beverage is especially quiet, with no
noise sources whatsoever toward my NW (only one km of jungle then
ocean).  I have worked EU stations running QRP on 160m with this antenna
for RX.

For TX, I use a 20m tall top loaded (TEE) vertical with 90 radials.

 From my experience this season, conditions have been best when the SFI
has dropped back into the 140s or low 150s.  Any higher and absorption
makes things difficult or impossible.

Interestingly, these conditions to Europe have not reciprocated to North
America and Africa.  I have tried skeds with African stations
unsuccessfully; there simply is no propagation even if the band is open
to Europe for both of us.  I listen most nights for North America, and
although I have had some propagation to the far northeast (Maine, VY2ZM,
and even zone 2), propagation to the rest of North America has been very
poor.  I suspect (without proof) that the MUF remains elevated over the
central Pacific and equatorial regions and that is causing absorption
along these paths.  Hawaii and the central/eastern Pacific DXpeditions
have seemingly been weak here this year.  I am curious if this is
actually the case or if there is something else affecting propagation to
these areas.

I will continue to be active on 160m throughout the season, as I know
there still remains a demand for KH2 and to try to complete my 9BWAZ (I
still need 10, 34, 37, and 38 on 160 to have them all).  I have been
active most mornings at my SR for EU, and will try to be active during
NA SR if propagation cooperates to make it worthwhile to stay up later
on my end.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK