Re: Topband: My take on ARRL 160 (MAR)

To: "Topband" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: My take on ARRL 160 (MAR)
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 11:49:42 -0400
In a slightly different vein (but keeping with the same theme overall
theme).....

"MAR" section includes NB (VE9), NS (VE1) and VY2 (PEI).....sometimes MAR
even included VO1 and VO2 !!!

We have to compete against hams in three provinces for most ARRL contests.
Does RI get lumped in with EMA and CT? - Nope!
Does Montana get lumped in with Wyoming and Kansas?  - Nope!

Why is it the ARRL sees it fit to make three provinces compete against one
another?
Tell me what other 48 contiguous states compete against one another?

Maybe 50 years ago there was little to no activity in, what was then, always
VE1, but for most any semi-major or major contest that happens, you will
work 5-10 MAR stations with VE1, 9 and VY2 prefixes.  We've had separate
prefixes here since the early 1990's.......approaching 20 yrs !!!

I would rather compete against my province-mates.

Mike VE9AA (NB and proud of it !)
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK