Topband: Beverage up but maybe has problems comments requested

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverage up but maybe has problems comments requested
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 03:31:42 +0000 (UTC)

OK    the Beverage is up, transformers installed, and coax hooked up. Let me
refresh everyone’ memory   -   I put up a 490 ft window line beverage which
turns out to be headed 30deg magnetic (best I could do on short notice) and it
has a termination transformer as opposed to the open/short termination.

  I have noticed several things:

    1. I am not impressed with the front to back. I don’t think it is all it
should be but I have not measured it.
    2. Although I did work YN2CC last night I have not heard but one station
from Europe .
    3. There appears to be some discrimination off the side of the antenna. The
8’s, 9’s etc are down as much as 20db.

Having said all of this I started rereading all of the literature and think I
may have discovered a problem with my transformers.   I noticed that some
calculated the transformers based directly on the impedance of the line/ surge
z.   By this I mean they calculated the transformer turns based directly on say
50 ohms for the primary and   450 ohms for the secondary.

When I designed my transformers I used the rule of 4 like is done with broad
band transformers so that the turns would be calculated on 200 ohms for the
primary and 1800 ohms for the secondary.    DID I ERR??????   This might be why
there is no front to back like there should be and maybe even the why I can’t
seem to hear the Europeans.

Luckily changing the transformers is an easy task.

Comments please !

Jim WA3MEJ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK