Re: Topband: Dimensions of K2AV folded counterpoise

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Dimensions of K2AV folded counterpoise
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:35:35 -0600
I haven't been following this thread real close, but I folded the two 10'
high elevated 1/4λ radials on my own 3/8λ inverted-L --per Guy's suggestion
to me a two or three years ago-- as follows:

Radial # 1: North about half-way (a little less than 1/8λ), then east 10',
then south the rest of the way back, a little past the elevated feedpoint.
Radial # 2: South about half-way, then east 10', then north the rest of the
way back slightly past the elevated feedpoint.

I just used whatever trees in the area were convenient. The radials were
not perfectly laid out.

Several of of us (including Guy, K2AV) with similar antennas got on 160 CW
and compared signal strengths. With that antenna and those folded
counterpoises, I then proceeded to work a number of DX stations on 160 CW
running 600 watts. (I listened on my Beverages.) It was like shooting fish
in a barrel. :-)

I may put that antenna back up soon.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Steve Ireland <vk6vz@arach.net.au> wrote:

> ...I would be very interested - as am sure other users of this reflector
> would
> be - on what spacing you use between the folded wires on your counterpoise
> system.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK