Topband: Radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radials
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:03:52 +0000
Moxon, G6XN once proposed using elevated radials that wereless than ¼
wavelength long, tied together and fed through a commoninductor.His idea was it
would beeasier to achieve current and phase balance between the radials if they
weren’tphysically resonant.I believe this waswritten up in one of the ARRL’s
Antenna Compendiums.At the time I had my Butternut HF2V mounted about 20 feet
aboveground with one radial for 80 meters that was approximately ¼
wavelengthlong.I replaced that one radial withtwo 1/8 wavelength radials and
tied them to the base of the vertical through acommon inductor.I don’t remember
muchabout that inductor other than that it was an old piece of B&W made from#14
or #16 wire.As you would expectany change to the values of inductance between
the radials and the vertical affectedthe tuning of the whole antenna.Sincethis
vertical is heavily loaded anyway, it wasn’t obvioushow I could tune it.I
decided to construct a current probe froman old toroid core, some magnet wire,
1N34A diode, a capacitor, apotentiometer, and a milliameter.Thethought was to
try a value of “radial inductor”, then tune the antenna toresonance using the
vertical’s loading coils, and observe how much current wasflowing on the
outside of the feedline below the antenna.I might be all wet but it seemed to
me thatproperly balanced elevated radials would effectively “screen” anything
underthem. After many iterations and carefully monitoring power into the
antenna Iwas able to minimize the current measured on the outside of the
feedlinedirectly below the antenna.After usingthis antenna over the course of
the winter, I was able to conclude that 1) Icould affect the current on the
outside of the feedline, and 2) I couldn’t seeany evidence at all that this
antenna configuration was better or worse than anythingelse I had tried at this
location. That was probably die to my poor QTH, down in a river valley and
surrounded by suburban clyutter and noise. All antennas work poorly in a bad
location.

73 Steve K0SR

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK