Topband: contesting in a field

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: contesting in a field
From: - <ahhyup@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:52:46 -0600
So I have a new (to me) travel trailer, and a family farm, and I've made
maybe two 160M contacts ever. I don't get to play radio much, usually just
sweepstakes phone every year, and I missed last year. I find it fun to do
kinda off the wall stuff, its fun.

So put this all together and I'm thinking I'll park the travel trailer in a
field, during a 160M contest, and play radio. The missing piece is the
antenna.

I've done some reading, kites, balloons etc. I'm fine to build a big
lifting kite, I've got a hunk of tyvek somewhere, but that's not the point,
the point is what I'd lift. Balloons aren't interesting, I can't make
helium in the wood shop or sew a balloon.

What I'm after is some thoughts on the antenna. Looks like a kite lifted
1/4 wave vertical should be doable, but what about the radials? Try to
elevate them? I'm only 100w, so I'm interested in some reasonable (or a bit
more than what one might think reasonable) efforts which will help me be
successful. I read about bleeding static but don't have specifics.

That being said, if there is no wind, and no antenna being lifted, success
is not only in the result but also in the prep. I'll be ready for the next
opportunity. A good story is worth something also.

So what do you all think? I've got barbed wire fencing, lots of space,
copperweld and electric fence wire, some 50-60' or higher trees here and
there along the edges of the fields. Hilly pasture even for that matter,
but really limited in access for the travel trailer (not that it has to be
part of the setup, but I've got it, might as well use it).

Thanks,
Chris
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK