Re: Topband: Radials help

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:48:18 -0500
thicker wire isn't much benefit if any for radials. You can find some
surplus CAT-5 wire on ebay, I bought over a mile of it for about $70.

If you're looking for uninsulated wire you can find some pretty good
deals on electric fence wire at Tractor Supply & if they don't have
what you want, look for a feed and grain store & see what they have.
Might be able to get Tractor Supply to sell you some on-line. There's
several different versions of wire out there.

I looked at www.tractorsupply.com & local TS outlets near you &
there's one 30M north in Kerrville.

Gary
KA1J

> Installing 80 and 160 verticals and was going to use 14 gauge uninsulated
> solid copper wire for radials.  Little dirt here, mostly limestone and
> caliche. Is there any reason to use insulated wire?  No one seems to sell
> bare wire anymore (Lowes, Home Depot), but it would hide better than colored
> insulated wire.  I have lots of deer, squirrels, porcupines, possums, skunks,
> but no hogs.  Half the radials will cross the caliche driveway.  We have only
> had 3" of rain all year, so the ground is essentially cement. Radials will
> just be laying on top held in by steel staples.  Grass may cover in years to
> come! Was going to start with 16 1/4 wave 160 meter radials.
>
> Any ideas, suggestions on where to buy radial wire or how to install greatly
> appreciated off reflector.
>
> Thanks Buzz N5UR Bandera Texas, Cowboy Capital of the World

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK