Re: Topband: Radials help

To: Buzz Jehle <buzz@logi.us>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: WA8JXM <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 07:54:52 -0500
Everything I read says that it doesn't make any difference whether it is
insulated or not.

One good idea I saw for getting the radials hidden is to use a lawn edger to
make a narrow slot.   For your driveway, the best approach might be to add some
gravel after you put the radials down.

Ken

On Nov 9, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Buzz Jehle wrote:

> nstalling 80 and 160 verticals and was going to use 14 gauge uninsulated
> solid copper wire for radials.  Little dirt here, mostly limestone and
> caliche. Is there any reason to use insulated wire?  No one seems to sell
> bare wire anymore (Lowes, Home Depot), but it would hide better than colored
> insulated wire.  I have lots of deer, squirrels, porcupines, possums, skunks,
> but no hogs.  Half the radials will cross the caliche driveway. We have only
> had 3" of rain all year, so the ground is essentially cement. Radials will
> just be laying on top held in by steel staples.  Grass may cover in years to
> come! Was going to start with 16 1/4 wave 160 meter radials.
>
> Any ideas, suggestions on where to buy radial wire or how to install greatly
> appreciated off reflector.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK