Re: Topband: RFI

To: "TOPBAND" <TOPBAND@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:22:26 -0400
Typical switch-mode noise.  Over the years, I have had to identify several
of these noise sources from within my own home as well as neighbors.  Keep
in mind this is a different type of noise to localize than that produced by
power lines.

The first step involves powering down your hone, one circuit at a time, and
defeating battery-back systems like security.  It's most helpful to power
the rig by battery during testing.  If the switching noise stops as you
deactivate breakers, then you know the noise is on your property and you'll
need to investigate appliances on the affected branch circuit.

If the noise remains, you'll need to identify the direction, likely coming
from a neighbor who has recently added a switch-mode appliance.  I use a
directional loop antenna, SDR-IQ receiver, and notebook PC to document the
noise with screen captures while on foot.  Most of the time, I can
triangulate the source with the loop.  This can save a lot of time.

The usual question arises:  What could it be?  It can be many things and you
need to investigate rather than ponder the question.  For example, here's a
list I'm recalling from memory of devices belonging to neighbors that I've
had to either replace or add RFI/EMI chokes to cabling: Neighbor's
micro-refrigerator, Neighbor's PC power supply, Neighbor's scooter charger.
In my own home:  Many wall warts, Sony Playstation II, Microwave oven,
Toshiba DVD player.  Each one of these devices produced a typical switching
noise signature.  Noise "bumps" that show up on the panadpater every 40-80
kHz or so depending on the device's switching frequency.

In short, anything with a switch-mode supply is a potential unintentional
radiator.  If the neighbor's device is relatively inexpensive, I'll just
replace it on my dime.  If it's unusual or expensive, then I'll do my best
to work with the neighbor to add common mode choking.  Most of my neighbors
are willing to work with me.  Not all, but most.

Advice: try to work with your neighbors before pulling the FCC or ARRL
trigger.  They may view it as threatening action even through they are most
certainly under a duty to mitigate the interference.  If you can't resolve
the issue to your satisfaction, read the "next steps" material on the ARRL's
website.

Paul, W9AC