Re: Topband: Receive ant question

To: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receive ant question
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:47:18 -0400
On 2011-10-26, at 5:32 PM, Rik van Riel wrote:

> With the RX antenna a reasonable distance (>100ft) away
> from the TX antenna, would an RF limiter (like the one
> ICE makes) be an acceptable substitute for a front end
> protector with relays?

Hi Rik,

I can only share my own personal experience here with you, for what it's
worth...

First-off, I use TWO old transceivers for 160-meters, i.e. a Yaesu FT-980, & an
Icom 751A. I use them (separately, of course!) to drive a pair of 813s, for 1
kilowatt input. I also use SEPARATE receiving antennas on the band, to cut-down
on noise.

All was well with the Yaesu, utilizing the separate receive antenna jack at the
back of the transceiver...however, on those occasions when I used the Icom, my
observed signal on the scope looked absolutely HORRIBLE. Obviously RF was
getting back into the rig when I used QRO, this despite the fact that the 751A
has a separate receive antenna jack at the back, as well.

A look at the schematic of each rig told the tale: the receive antenna jack in
the Yaesu is AUTOMATICALLY GROUNDED when the transceiver transmits---in the
Icom, however, there is no such safety feature: the jack "floats" at all times,
inviting RF to get into the transceiver, playing havoc with it.

The ultimate "fix" was an outboard, separate grounding relay that is activated
whenever the Icom transmits---it grounds the separate antenna jack, and I have
had no further problems along this line. Check the schematic of your
transceiver: if the auxilliary antenna jack grounds in transmit, you should be
OK.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK