Re: Topband: Capacitor for Inverted L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Capacitor for Inverted L
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:05:50 -0400
I used to use an ugly, beat up 500pf vac variable at the base of my
160M inv-L & used the MFJ SWR Analyzer to adjust it. The CAT-5 cable
I used for wire was brought up over a tall tree and chafing from the
wind blown branches wore through it 1/2 times a year. After the
antenna came down the last time I used a more rugged wire and cut it
135' long and have it connected to a radial plate which serves as a
common tie-in for my separate 160, 80, 40, 30 meter vertical wires
but also my butternut HF9V which I use for 20 & up.

The 160M ant will not cover the whole band but as I rarely go above
1.9 Mhz, it's perfect and needs no base loaded cap.

YMMV.

73,

Gary, KA1J

> I plan on adding an Inverted L soon, and have seen a few websites that
> recommend about 1000pF at the base to tune it.  What voltage cap should I be
> looking for if I am going to run about 600W?
>
> --
> *Clint Talmadge - W5CPT - *

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK