Re: Topband: soldering radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: soldering radials
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:02:22 -0500
My $0.02...

Soldering radials -- for many years, dating from my first career in
broadcasting, I have used silver-bearing plumbing solder commonly available
in hardware stores and home centers. This is typically tin (Sn) with 0.25%
or 0.5% silver (Ag). I tried the cheaper 100% tin, but the silver
dramatically improves the solder flow and bond to the copper. Clean copper
and the right flux is essential. Scotchbrite or similar pads are good;
sandpaper may be needed to cut through deeper oxidation. The liquid acid
flux works best, but is messy and corrosive -- wear gloves and wash things
off when done. Paste flux works fine if the copper is clean, and is a lot
easier to work with.

I can't say enough about cleaning the copper -- everything is easier that
way. A good physical connection helps too, since it will require less solder
and flux.

Finally, if you're concerned about protecting a soldered joint, a coating of
black silicone or "liquid electrical tape" works well.

73, Gary
K9AY

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK