Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: soldering radials

To: "Charles Moizeau" <w2sh@msn.com>, <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: soldering radials
From: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:47:17 -0400
I've found that the "RoHS-compliant" lead-free solders, which are a
tin/copper/silver alloy tend to hold up better outdoors than the usual
tin/lead alloys. The lead-free stuff is also pretty easy to get from
just about anywhere due to the need for many electronic devices to be
lead free these days.

  -Bill

> Jorge,
>
> It has been my experience at this QTH in NJ that soldered connections
> outdoors do not do well with solder that contains lead.  Over time the
> connections all turn dull and often the solder on a well-soldered
joint
> will crumble over time.
>
> For this reason all my outdoor soldered connections are made with a
solder
> that is 96 percent tin and 4 percent silver.  It is readily available
in
> the US at Radio Shack stores.
[snip]