Re: Topband: Bi-Directional Beverage Question - DXE Polarity

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bi-Directional Beverage Question - DXE Polarity
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 11:36:34 -0400
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:38 AM, ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:
> Can you phase 2 wire reversible Beverages such as the offset close spaced
> type?

For the part of the question before the "such as".....

Yes, you certainly can phase two reversibles, but you won't be able to
do it unless you can insure that a "top" and "bottom,"  or + and - ,
or brand and no brand wire are used the SAME or electrically verified
on both beverages.

>From a commercial product standpoint and writing KISS instructions,
knowing that a customer may buy two of them and phase them, without
notifying the installation manual writer or the manufacturer, I would
certainly write the instructions with a plus and minus in them, and
that as straightforward and simple as possible, so that if the same
instructions are used for both, then phasing occurs without any
outcome other than what the length of feedlines, combiners and
physical placement would dictate.  Make sure that RTFM works.

Not to do so will cost profits, both in irritated customers who say
your stuff isn't worth sh*t, regardless that it's their fault, and
paying someone overtime to deal with MORE customers over the phone who
can't get it right.

That explains W8JI's text, to me at any rate.

To the second half of your sentence....

Whether reversibles perform WELL in any phasing situation you can
conjure up, just depends on the dang details and the ugly modeling
math that no one (including me) wants to do on a given day.

73, Guy
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK