Re: Topband: Top Band INactivity

To: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Band INactivity
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX" <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 19:18:30 -0500
  George, I couldn't agree more.  At 0000Z last night the band seemed
pretty quiet with only DF2UU coming through at S4-5 at best.  However,
at around 0400Z it was as if someone had turned a switch.  Unusually
strong signals started coming out of Europe and the Near East.  4Z1UF,
who is often heard at this QTH, has never been louder.  SV3RF was a real
S9+ and his strength was more appropriate to 20M.  Almost equally as
potent were G3JMJ, OM2XW, SP3DIO and several others whose calls I can't
recall at this time.  Conditions were probably as good as I've heard all
season long.

OTOH, there seemed to be some spottiness to the unusually strong sigs.
Several US stations made references to poor conditions in their cluster
spots and the good RX seemed to focus on VA and NC.  I'm using an RX
4-square and TX vertical in diversity reception here in SW VA and
observed that the signals were about equal in strength on both antennas,
which is not typical.  The only time the vertical is equivalent to the
4-square is usually on short skip stuff.  I'm not sure that means
anything, but it was an apparent departure from the norm.

Let's hope for more before the QRN season starts.

73, Joe
K2XX

On 3/4/2011 9:32 AM, GEORGE WALLNER wrote:
>>> From: "Diane and Edward Swynar"<deswynar@xplornet.ca>
>>> or has general activity on
>>> 160-meters declined significantly in the past few
>>> weeks...?
> There was plenty of activity on TB last night (Thursday
> night). DF2PY was a solid S9 in South Florida. There were
> many other EU stations with solid S8 and S7 signals. QSB
> was very deep but noise was not excessive. I started
> working EU with 25 watts while the PA was warming up and I
> was getting S7 reports. Conditions must have been
> excellent. TB rewards those who wait!
>
> There must also be a compounding effect; when conditions
> are poor fewer stations stay on the band and when
> conditions are good, more stations get on it.
>
> Cheers and 73,
>
> George, AA7JV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK