Re: Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'

To: "herbs@vitelcom.net" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'
From: W2PM <w2pm@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:38:25 -0500
Thats a great use Herb ..

FWIW - I am not a contester or an awards collector but I am a serious dx'er.
Technology concerns aside for how the various new things can be abused, I
really think the single issue affecting ham radio is poor behaviors.   Whether
senseless pileup calling, illegal power, QSO hogging and seemingly aggressive,
unethical contesting techniques it's like gun control - it's not the guns - its
the users..

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 11, 2011, at 15:51, Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net> wrote:

> On 2/11/2011 12:09 PM, W2PM wrote:
>> Why not just use SKYPE?  Could have a packaged service which includes band
>> noise, QRM, etc. Like Dr DX but via SKYPE.  QST can do a full tech review.
>> For once it may be meaningful too.
>>

> Well in fact I do........use Skype.... but in a very different way that
> is intended to be helpful and not during contests.  Here is what I do:
>
> I have my RX and NE Beverage on 1821.5 with Skype in Auto Answer.
> Anyone who calls my Skype gets the RX audio, to test, if they wish, how
> their signal is being heard here during various propagation conditions.
> This is a single frequency, single user, courtesy basically to test
> propagation for the other end to switch TX antennas.  It provides no
> direct help in "enabling" a contact.  At times when I have put it into a
> wider mode on the QSX frequency of a Dx-pedition to give an idea of the
> magnitude of callers across 1.5 Khz.  The latency of a few seconds is
> enough to discourage any misuse. It may have had some value,  during the
> PJ entity explosion as propagation here is the same as most of the
> nearby PJ5,6, and 7.
>
> If you can hear yourself in the pileup across 1.5 khz of audio you
> deserve a medal anyway. If there is a problem with this, I would like to
> know.  Please let us not make the technology good the victim of the bad.
>
> Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK