Re: Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:29:14 +1300
It seems wrong, and is wrong, Brendan.  DXCC rules require the Rx
antenna to be in the same country as the Tx antenna.  Personally I think
that there should also be a requirement that it is owned and maintained
by the user.

I am also a member of the SDR community (HPSDR) and I have had several
disputes with the proponents of remote SDR receivers.  I have requested
that they put long time delays, say 15s, into the audio path, but they
refuse to do so on the grounds that they don't want to "limit technical
progress for the sake of a few dishonest operators".

I must point out that I do not agree with this position, and would like
to dissociate myself from this aspect of HPSDR activities.

Are you able to put such a delay into your SDR receiver's audio path?
If it runs on a PC you should have enough memory available to do so.
This would stymie the cheaters fairly effectively.

73, Greg, ZL3IX

On 2011-02-11 09:38, Brendan Minish wrote:

> What is the ethical position on this, it sure seems wrong to me

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK