Re: Topband: Pro III rx jack and SEND relay- issues on Top Band-

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Pro III rx jack and SEND relay- issues on Top Band-
From: "Ian & Nerida Miller" <nerida_ian@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:58:14 +1100
Hi Paul,

I had trouble with the my Icom 746pro send relay when using the rig directly
with an amplifier or receive preamps, changeover tx/rx followers that use
relays for switching.

The send relay in the rig is a delicate reed relay. It seems to not handle the
make and break currents of driving the inductive load of a slave relay in an
attached device. I haven’t looked at the circuit of your rx antenna input
protector, but if it has a relay coil on it’s control input, that may be the
problem.

My send relay would stick permanently closed after a tx over, randomly.  The
contacts seem to micro weld themselves closed in this situation. Giving it a
physical tap with a screwdriver would release the contact. I replaced the reed
relay and the same thing happened with the brand new one.

I cured the problem by building a fet relay switching circuit that drives the
amp etc control inputs from the rig send relay. The input current controlled by
the send relay is now only a few microamps and I have had no further problems.
A 2N2222 fet relay switching circuit, (switching 500mA max) is easy to build
and will isolate the send relay from the attached device’s higher input
switching currents.

I hope this helps you Paul.

73’s,

Ian VK2BJT