Topband: 2 wire beverage question - summary

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 2 wire beverage question - summary
From: Kenneth Grimm <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:50:27 -0500
Thank you to all who corresponded with me about my 2 coax feed for a
bidirectional beverage.  I think I have answered all of you directly, but
since some were sent privately, I will summarize the tips that you shared.

1)  The 2 coax feed is much more popular than I realized.
2)  The 2 coax feed boxes are available commercially on the KD9SV Products
link at  http://www.radio-ware.com
3)  Termination of the unused feedline with 72 ohms in the shack can be
accomplished in an antenna switch box.
4)  Termination of the unused feedline may or may not be necessary but will
probably affect the F/B performance.  Some terminate, some do not.
5)  An R/C/L termination might be used to skew the rejection notch to help
reduce QRN or QRM.
6)  In contesting environments and DXpedition environments each feedline is
signal split for feeding independent switching from each operating position
for 160, 80, 75 and at times 40 meters.  All antenna azimuths are
simultaneously available for any operating position.  This is not possible
with the single feedline application with switched directions.
7)  The 2 feedline app is advantageous in SO2R low band contesting so that
both the main RX and the sub RX or separate RX can each independently select
any azimuth available.

Again, thanks to all who commented on my question.

73,

Ken - K4XL
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK