Re: Topband: Elevated Radials

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials
From: Art K6XT <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:03:40 -0600
My 160 ant is a 1/4 wave 80M GP. A 1/8 wave GP. Currently 18 radials,
all 1/8 wave on 160, which begin at 15 ft, end more or less 10 ft.
Seeking ways to optimize flexibility I turned to EZNEC, discovering that
adding a pair of short more or less horizontal wires attached 2/3
distance up the GP would lower the feed Z by about 100 ohms while having
small effect on the pattern. One wire skewed the pattern more than I
wanted. 2/3 of the distance up because that is where tower ends and
adjustable pipe tip begins.

Modeling the radials showed, as I expected, that more is better. To a
point. I started with four thinking that would be an absolute minimum.
It worked OK but as Guy points out plenty of my RF went into keeping
earthworms comfortable. I have space so began adding radials. In the
area of 10 radials there were no further, significant, changes in
measured feed Z so I began to think the antenna was reaching a decent
balance between gain and the work effort to keep adding radials.

I tried some 1/4 wave 160 radials without apparent effect so made more
1/4 wave 80 radials of them. This confirms the suggestion in a paper
many years ago in, IIRC, Ham Radio that short radials work.

Worthy of note is I have a philosophical objection to the work effort
required to lay in a bed of 160 buried radials (I could), which is why
the antenna is a GP in the first place. Rephrasing, I'm too lazy.

So at this point I had an antenna that fed fairly well on 160 but those
two wires EZNEC recommended had negative effect on 80M. I started to
build a through the coax powered relay setup. Fortunately N6ND
intervened with the suggestion to use traps to isolate the two
horizontal wires. This was the magic bullet. With traps there is no
change in 80M Z, they work fine on 160, and I get two bands from one 80M
1/4 wave GP. I did end up after a couple seasons' use doubling the
number of radials - but saw no change in feed Z on either band and no
subjective change in performance. The antenna continues to work most
everything I hear on the rx ants.

I'm thinking if only I could hear 5R8X and 5X0CW, I could work them.

73 Art
Allison, Colorado
Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it
doesn't take much to set us off !

On 2010-10-29 21:01, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> Short version:  Anyone who has four elevated radials can easily check
> this out.  How to in Long Version.
>
> 1/4 wave elevated radials can have 18-60 ohms ground induction loss
> per radial.  Divide by number of radials for series loss.
>
> 1/8 wave elevated radials can have 5-12 ohms mostly ground induction
> loss per radial.  Divide by number of radials for series loss.
>
> A single elevated 5/16 wave folded counterpoise will have 2-3 ohms
> mixed wire and ground induction loss. +/- 32 feet.
>
> Long version:
>
> Nobody is telling you to take down your radials or modify it if you're
> happy with it.  Far from it.  If you like it then of course you keep
> it.  Go work 'em and have a great time.  God bless you and have a
> great life and all that!   But people are asking for advice here...
>
> 1) What comes up over and over and over and over in correspondence
> (way, way more times than you guys that are happy with yours) is that
> people don't have the space for traditional radials and what they have
> tried just plain sucks (their appraisal, not mine).  In my case I do
> have the acreage for dense elevated radials other than the highly
> inconvenient fact that a drive way goes right through the middle of
> the available space and either elevated and buried radials are out of
> the question.  What then?  What FACTS to design an alternative to all
> of the traditional radial answers?  What would be the tradeoffs?  How
> to measure?  Is there anything possible besides 5 buried 15 foot
> radials I already know suck big time, that I can try?  Exactly what is
> it that makes that makes 160m antennas so unbelievably bad?
>
> 2) What does someone DO who is trying honestly to compare alternatives
> and the FIRST TIME AROUND squeeze the last dB out of what is going to
> be a considerable project, because they don't have the time to try
> five different things, one at a time, each one occupying all available
> space?  Even if they did it, what beyond QSO count affected by highly
> variable conditions would they have to compare sky-wave effectiveness?
>
> To your considerable credit, 227 countries on 160, even using an
> amplifier, probably proves the worth of the operator more than the
> antenna.  I've always said that there's anywhere between zero and 27
> dB gain possible between the ears.  If you've worked 227 countries I'd
> suspect you're one of those 27 dB gain between the ears guys.  That's
> the inverse of the old saw "What do you call a lid with an amp and a
> great antenna?  LOUD lid."  "What do you call a top op with 100 watts
> and a piece of wire?  DXCC"
>
> Doesn't it bother you just a little bit that there's nothing out there
> carefully verified that would allow you to calculate these kinds of
> 160m sky-wave things?  There hasn't been any serious money into
> research of these issues in our lifetimes.  The commercial MF
> interests are 99% concerned with ground wave which doesn't do us any
> [...]
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK