Re: Topband: Band coming alive

To: TopBand <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Band coming alive
From: f5phw@free.fr
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:56:35 +0200 (CEST)
Hello everybody.

Tried yesterday night on 160 with short inverted L (description on my website)
and 400 watts.

QSO ZL4AS 559, JA7QVU 579 AND k9yc 559 who received me 339. That's all.
Heard FK8CP 599 working USA, VK3PA 599.

K4CKD heard me very weak.

Very good spot by JA7QVI who showed me that it was open to JA with good sigs,
but only sigs from him !!!

Band plan here is beginning at 1830 Khz, so I have to use QSX.

Don't know very well top band but may be it is not the season yet.

80 meters was good after but not many stations.

Best 73 and hope to give you FO on 160.

FO8RZ Phil

Due to a crash server; web site is now on http://f5phw.hamlogs.net/

----- "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> a écrit :

> On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 20:41:46 -0500, David Raymond wrote:
>
> >Topband brought a nice surprise this morning here in Iowa with a QSO
> with
> >Topband stalwart Bobby, VK3ZL, coming through the QRN with a nice
> signal.
> >With the poor sunspot activity lasting this far into the new cycle,
> maybe
> >we'll have another good season.  Last season yielded remarkable over
> the
> >pole openings here in the Midwest with Zone 17, 18, & 19 being often
>
> >workable (sometimes daily) both morning and night.
>
> I've had a rig on 160M for a week looking for stations with whom I can
>
> exchange signal reports on a new antenna. So far, except for about an
> hour
> during NAQP SSB Saturday night, the only station I've heard is W7OE
> calling
> CQ, and a JA that he couldn't raise. I wouldn't call that alive, I'd
> call it
> dead. I made 15 QSOs during NAQP.
>
> People talk about how they love 160M, but they only want to work DX,
> they
> don't want to give encouragement to a newbie making his first steps on
> the
> band.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK