Re: Topband: wire on the ground antenna

To: "Jonathan White" <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: wire on the ground antenna
From: "John G3PQA" <g3pqa@onetel.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:14:32 +0100
From: "Jonathan White" <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 9:08 PM
Subject: Topband: wire on the ground antenna
> Hi. I was surfing around and found a site with an antenna that was around
> 85` long with 2 "radials"at right angles to the "long wire".
> Sounds standard stuff but all of this is laid flat on the floor/ground.
> The author,claimed good results with this set-up,he was located in
> America and had the thing pointed at Europe.
> He claimed it was end-fire ant took advantage of the pseudo-Brewster
> angle of received and transmitted wave.
> Does the panel think hocus pocus,or is there some truth in the design.
> Maybe I will try it this coming autumn/fall,along with my vertical,and
> do some comparing!.
> 73`s
> Jon G8CCL.
> PS.
> I'm no antenna designer, just follow the recipe!

I agree without your giving the site link it is difficult to comment
objectively but to me sounds like questionable claims for a single wire so
short.

Certainly useless as a tx antenna and as a rx antenna lying on the ground
would have variable results
depending on ground conductivity, whether wet or dry, proximity of radials
and other antennas etc..

At a previous qth I remember trying similar wires on ground without any
advantage on rx over an inverted L, and modelling indicates it would perform
like a short dipole, ie more useful as a rx antenna for inter-G work, or
other times when condx favour high angle. Of course one can never have too
many rx antennas on 160m and there may be times when it could be useful,
particularly if it was located further away and broadside to a qrn source
giving problems on the invL.

The minimum length a beverage usually works (ie produces a meaningful
f/back) on 160m is about 250ft and even then at that length sometimes
doesnt perform any better than a K9AY, Flag etc..
There are many rx antennas described in John ON4UN's Low Band DXing 4th
Edition with directivity that would probably work better.

John G3PQA