Re: Topband: Inverted-L Help

To: Joe Dubeck <NA9A@comcast.net>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted-L Help
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:17:34 -0400
Joe Dubeck wrote:
> I know it's the wrong time of the year but I'm about to become a
> newbie on 160 and plan to erect an Inverted-L transmit antenna of
> the side of my 120' tower, primarily to work DX.

Forget about the cloud warming Inverted "L" hanging of you tall tower as you
have plenty of top loading to make the tower with the beams on top to provide
an excellent 1/4 plus radiator.  A three wire cage is preferred but a single
shunt wire of #8 wire spaced 24 inches and dropped to the ground (some hams
used discard CATV cable with a large diameter than the single wire) can be
tuned with a single series capacitor if you have a tap point that shows close
to 50 ohms and has some inductive reactance to tune out.  This is a far better
solution as the horizontal "L' wire will not bet there to interfere with your
beams pattern.

Before you look for the sweet point on the shunt feed put down some
radials, even 4 to 8 60 footers would be better than none.

Herb, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK