Re: Topband: switch for RX antennas

To: Jorge Diez - CX6VM <cx6vm.jorge@adinet.com.uy>
Subject: Re: Topband: switch for RX antennas
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:27:09 -0400
Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:

>  I am looking for a way to have a switch that can be connected to the AUX RF
> and allows me to switch between many RX antennas.
> Or better than that, something that allow me to spare RX antennas between
> main (RX ANT IN) and sub (AUX RF) receivers in a radio like the K3.
> I know there´s many stations with a lot of beverage antennas. But seems all
> of them build they own switches.
> I cannot do that, so will appreciate if someone can tell me if it´s
> available a commercial solution for that.

Jorge,

I used here the Dynair push button video switches that are used in TV
stations to switch video or monitors to different 75 ohm source
material. I currently have in the RX line a 12X1.  Nice thing about the
Dynair is that it has great port to port isolation, uses PL-259
connections (I use BNC  or F to PL-259 adapters), and terminates each
unused port with a 75 ohm resistor.  I had a pile of them here and sold
them on e-Bay. Most upgraded TV stations are using electronic switching
today so they should be readily available for next to nothing.  I  just
bought a 3X1 Dynair on eBay for $22.00 US which I will use to route
several antennas to my MFJ-1026 phaser/noise canceler.

You should be able to find them on eBay for a reasonable price.  Some of
them even have active switch lamp illumination but I have not found that
is required.  I also think that DXE has a multi port switch that allows
for termination of unused ports but it is much more expensive than a
surplus TV-passive switch like the Dynair.  You might also check with
local TV station and see if they have one they are not using.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK