Re: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?

To: topband@contesting.com, Jonathan white <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:12:02 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jonathan white <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>
> Subject: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 2:44 PM
> Would it be ok to use say galvanized wire for the top

Jon,

You can certainly use galvanized wire, if you take precautions against
corrosion. If you wrap galvanized electric fence wire next to copper wire, the
connection will quickly corrode in the weather.

Depending on where that connection is, I either:

1. Silver-solder the connection
or
2. Fill a wire nut with De-ox compound and then connect all the wires together
with that.

I use 17 gauge plated steel electric fence wire for my 580' 2-wire Beverages
(among other things). You wouldn't believe how much abuse that wire can take.

If the wire is subject to a lot of flexing in one spot, I would put a 6" (or
more) loop in that area.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU