Re: Topband: Interesting Observation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Interesting Observation
From: "Brian Miller" <brianmiller@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:48:57 +1300
Hi Bjorn

Just reading through some of the older postings here and noted your
comment.

I have an inverted L here with 6 short radials about 15 metres long
and 2 meters above ground. They are tuned to resonance with an
inductance at the the feed point. I notice no obvious change in the
resonant frequency  during wet weather. The additional radials
(compared to two) may be beneficial in this respect. Another factor
that may be relevant is the very poor ground at my QTH.

73, Brian ZL1AZE

On 3 feb 2010, at 19.11, Edward Swynar wrote:

> Lo & behold, each "L" now tunes to 1914-KHz, +/- 2-KHz---an upward
> increase
> of some 44-KHz!

My inverted L has two elevated radials and I see a shift of -30 kHz
when its raining. The 4" of snow that fell this week dropped resonance
about 5kHz. I am sure frozen ground (less moist) is the reason for the
increase in resonance that you see.

73 de Björn,
SM0MDG
SE0X