Re: Topband: Interesting Observation

To: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Interesting Observation
From: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 07:27:24 -0500
On Wednesday, Rich wrote:

"...We see this effect in the Arctic every winter. It is not the leaves but
the ground.
Once I increased the radials to (A Lot) the vertical antenna stayed put at
1832 or so. I actually made this measurement every week for a few years and
could watch the freq shift up as the winter came and back down as spring
stated to thaw the ground. I finally ended up with 150 radials to stop the
effect...."

*********************************

VERY interesting point, Rich---thanks for sharing...

There's definitely a connection here, with what you say: my radial field
(per each "L") consists of just 24 insulated radial wires, 1/8-wave long,
placed atop the ground---a FAR cry from your 150 radials there.

It's all beginning to make sense to me now, Hi Hi.

Thanks again, Rich. While I'll probably  never invest that much $$$ in
copper wire to emulate your system (can't you just imagine my cost, with
THREE elements...?!), at least I now have a better understanding now of
what's going on---and if need be, I guess I can always benefit from the good
physical workout I'd get if I elected to re-tweak each variable capacitor at
the base of each "L", to optimize it for winter conditions...!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK