Re: Topband: Europrean SDR on 160M

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Europrean SDR on 160M
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:35:27 -0500
William Q Meeker wrote:
> It seems to me (and a number of others that I have talked to) that
> there needs to be an explicit DXCC rule that says that for a DXCC
> contact to be valid, the transmitter and receiver, for both stations,
> must be within some relatively small distance of each other (perhaps
> 50 to 75 miles). Policing the rule (an issue raised by Bill Moore)
> would be difficult or impossible, but that is beside the point.
>
> Some of these kinds of issues (but not this specific one) were
> studied by the ARRL DXAC last year and their report is posted on the
> ARRL webpage. See
>
>     http://www.arrl.org/announce/reports-2008/july/DXAC_Special_Report.pdf
>
> I have not heard of any proposed actions coming out of this report.
> Perhaps others can enlighten us.
>
> 73,
>
> Bill
> K0KT

I found the report somewhat disingenuous in that it mentions "fairness"
and the
"propagation advantage" as considerations.  Where is the "fairness" in a W1
whose company sends him to Oregon for several years. This allows him to
work the rare Pacific DX and have it count towards his DXCC? Does he not
have a considerable "propagation advantage" working the Pacific?  The lack
of a reasonable distance limit gives a great advantage to a few while
penalizing
most of us.

73, Roger

--
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/

"160-meters is a band for men, not for sissies!" - SM5EDX