Re: Topband: 160 RX Loops

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 RX Loops
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:34:59 -0400

> rick darwicki wrote:
>
>> With high local line noise, is a TUNED LOOP or non-resonant RX loop a better
>> option?
>>
>> I've seen blogs that shielding a loop really doesn't do much.
>>

> Working weak signal DX signals with a small aperture loop antenna is
> problematic a best.  Sure you can null out local noise but what about
> that weak DX signal? Will there be anything there?
I would highly recommend one of the ANC, DXE, or MFJ noise phase
canceling units as a better way of getting rid of local noise.  In which
case a vertical antenna, or any antenna that picks up the noise the best
can be used to produce some dramatic results.  They require some
patience and planning to set up correctly but they are worth the attempt
in my view.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ