Re: Topband: 160 RX Loops

To: herbs@surfvi.com, n6pe@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 RX Loops
From: w2pm@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:51:20 -0500
I don't disagree with Herb here on the value of that type of loop, but
if the problem is strong local line noise, or any other type of local
noise (the list is long but can include jacuzzi thermostats, low
voltage lighting, bad street lights,  battery chargers with switched
supplies - which is about all of them lately, etc. etc.) nothing but a
small, so-called "Magnetic loop" will provide the profound, deep null
needed in the direction of the local crud will do.  Local noises can
easily hit S9 plus levels, but on 160, even S3 levels will prevent  you
 from hearing DX. A noise nulling device can help that too but that's a
whollly different topic with many issues.   A 5 ft diameter tuned loop
will provide a very sharp null to null 20 over S9 noise IF you can
orient it in the offending direction AND thats the only direction of
the noise.  I have worked VK from NNJ from a 20 over S9 noise
environment using the mag loop when conditions are right.UT It is a
major comprimise rx antenna and will be very underclassed from a
larger, terminated loop for routine DX work.

Pete W2PM