Re: Topband: Edger for burying ground radials ?

Subject: Re: Topband: Edger for burying ground radials ?
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:10:21 -1000
Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> W8AV@aol.com wrote:
>

>> One final; thing to remember, when you bond copper radials together at the
>> base of the antenna, use silver solder rather than the ten-lead stuff we
>> use for  normal soldering.  Although you will need a MAPP gas torch to melt
>> the  silver solder, the joint won't corrode when exposed to mother nature
>> like
>>  regular solder does.
>>
>> 73................de Goose, W8AV
>>

> I've had good luck with "Sta-Brite" solder, which is something like 4%
> silver, and the balance tin.  It melts at 100 degrees higher temperature
> than 63/37 tin/lead, but still within range of conventional soldering
> equipment.  It is available at welding supply shops.
>
> Rick N6RK

Out here in the salt environment I have major corrosion problems using
solder,  I find its the
lead content that is the problem,  I have been using plumbers no lead
solder and resin flux
for ground straps and radials,  the last I soldered I left exposed to
keep an eye on it and
check for corrosion,  its been 2 years now and its still in great shape,
I solder the joints and then coat it over with PVC cement,  that
weathers well and gives a
little extra protection.   Lead solder joints are white powder in a few
weeks at this QTH.
I have #10 copper in the ground for radials,  they were put in in 1981
and are as good as
new.  They were "brazed" to copper strap at the center and that is as
new yet also.   It pays
to do the job right the first time unless you need the exercise.
73 Merv KH7C