Topband: 5/8 vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 5/8 vertical
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 05:08:12 -0800 (PST)
OK, I'll bite... Why would you put up a 5/8 wave vertical?  Have you modeled
this dog?

Now, I suspect you are talking about an inverted L - as the 5/8 vertical is 340
feet...  This is an even bigger dog - unless you want the biggest signal for
local rag chewing, where it is a killer antenna... It also will bask the
nightcrawlers in welcome warmth all winter long..

OK, to answer the question, yes you would want the radials long enough to mask
the radiated EMF from the ground directly underneath...

cheers
denny / k8do