Re: Topband: Beverages inside a hedgerow?

To: "Colin Cook" <col.kat@btinternet.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages inside a hedgerow?
From: "John G3PQA" <g3pqa@onetel.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:23:37 -0000
i can run one of the beverages at about 290 deg that is over 1150' long but
the feed point will be about 600' from the shack. Is this too long for a
beverage and is the feed point a little too far away? I know coax losses
are less important with RX ariels but is there a sensible limit when it
come to the distance to the feed point?
I hope I'm not going over old ground and i apologise if i am.
73,
Colin, gm0vhr

290 deg is an excellent direction from UK for most USA. However a bit off beam for W7s, KL7s, KH6s etc which come in 330deg/360deg. 1150ft is very long, and will make the beverage very directive (only 51 degrees beamwidth and low angle 22 degrees elevation lobe, -6dBi gain, approx), a real killer rx ant if the DX is close to that direction.

If I was in happy position of having that antenna, and didnt have space for other directions, I would try putting a relay in the middle as could hear a wider azimuth range when half or third the length. A 600ft beverage 4ft high has approx 73deg beamwidth and 30 degree elevation main lobe, -10dBi gain. A 400ft beverage has approx 97deg beamwidth and 40 degree elevation main lobe. Has anyone else tried this with one wire?

600ft feeder is no problem. Satellite TV duofoil-type coax is relatively cheap and has relatively low loss on 160/80m. Beverages 4 ft high are between approx -5dBi to -15dBi gain, so another few dB even from lossy coax should not be a problem with modern sensitive rxs, or if necessary with external extra preamp in shack. I use up to 1200ft without problem. Take normal precautions for common mode and critter attack!
73's
John G3PQA